RESOURCES FOR ORGANIZERS
If you’re an organizer looking to include more women, or perhaps you’ve found yourself on the GenderAvenger Hall of Shame list, here’s how you can do better:
1. Commit from the start to achieve gender balance.
Read how a commitment to inclusion worked for The Pacific Standard.
2. Put a woman on the organizing committee.
A recent study shows that having at least one woman on the organizing committee ensures inclusion.
3. Seek and you shall find.
Don’t rely on the “usual suspects.” Lots of intriguing folks are out there.
Your organization’s status in an industry means you have the strongest ties with potential speakers so start with your contact list.
Articles and websites about gender balance and diversity:
- Include Gender
- Geek Feminism Wiki: conference anti-harassment policy
- How to Triple the Number of Women Appointed to Boards in Three Years (November 2016)
- ONA, Conferences and Diversity: One Step at a Time (September 2015)
- #GoodRead Roundup: Get Inspired! Expert Advice on Creating Gender Balanced Panels (August 2015)
- Ten Simple Rules to Achieve Conference Speaker Gender Balance (November 2014)
Lists with a high percentage of women experts and speakers:
- The top professionals 35 and under, surfaced by LinkedIn data and more. These are the 10 stars modernizing medicine and creating healthier lives.
- Innovation Women
- KatieConf: a list of women speakers (technology)
- SheSource (general topics)
- The Kilroys (playwrights and producers)
- Global Summit of Women
- Female Interruptors On Iraq
- Yes, Equal (design)
- Great Women Speakers
- APB Speakers International: Prominent Women
- What Pipeline Problem? Here are 10 Female Founders to Watch (entrepreneurs, November 2016)
- Introducing the 2016 Next Wave: The 120 people making waves in some of the biggest industries (October 2016)
- Meet 9 Women Leading the Pack in Data Analytics (technology, August 2016)
- Kurtosys [Twitter] Power 100: Women In Finance Power 100 (finance, August 2016)
- Crain's 100 Most Influential Women in Michigan 2016 (business/academia/nonprofits/public policy, June 2016)
- 2016 Rising Stars (politics, June 2016)
- The 100+ tech & business women speakers you need at your next event (technology, October 2015)
- The 15 most amazing women in science today (science, July 2015)
- 16 Women Founders Making Moves in Tech (technology, July 2015)
- 21 Leaders 2015: Seven Who Give Life to Movements (activism, January 2015)
- The 100 Most Influential Tech Women on Twitter (technology, May 2014)
- The 30 Top Thinkers Under 30 (social/political/economic issues, April 2014)
- 16 women whose digital startups deserve Vox-level plaudits (technology, April 2014)
- Forbes 30 Under 30 (various subjects, January 2014)
Have a list we should include? Let us know!